Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering
Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering (DSCE), started in 1979, was founded by Sri R Dayananda Sagar and is run by the Mahatma Gandhi Vidya Peeta Trust. It is on 28 acres (110,000 m2) of land on a hillock in Kumaraswamy Layout, Bangalore South. Research programmes sponsored by AICTE, AR&DB, KSCST are undertaken. The college organizes seminars, workshops, teaching talks, sports and extracurricular activities. With 1850 systems, student information system (SIS) and several digital classrooms, it was one of the first education centers to get WiFi in the country. The college is an autonomous institute under Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. Accredited by NAAC with A grade.
A secondary campus has been set up in the year 2011 under the name of Dayananda Sagar Academy Of Technology & Managementin Kanakapura road, Bangalore.
Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering offers 16 undergraduate programs leading to 4/5 year bachelor’s degree, 16 post graduate programs leading to 2/3 year master’s degree and 21 Research Centers offering 2/5 year MSc(Engg)/PhD degree. The Academic degrees are awarded by Visvesvaraya Technological University.
There are landscaped gardens, trees lined pathways, and student rest places, amphitheatre, parking lot. Playgrounds and indoor sports facilities and a well-equipped gym which help develop physical skills. There’s an old temple of lord Shiva (Shavige Malleshwara Temple) in the campus. Cafe Coffee Day and Cuppa have an outlets in DSI.
Apart from academics, the students of DSI are involved in extra-curricular activities and student collegiate clubs. The most notable ones are mentioned below.
- Aura: The student body under the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Center (IEDC), DSI, is one of the most active student groups on campus.
- Quest: The official quiz club of the Engineering College, founded during Furore 13, hosts inter- and intra-college level quizzes to discover the best minds in the college.
- Techspark: The official student tech-forum, founded by Sachet Kadam, Avinash Chukka and Ankur Gupta under the direction of the vice-chairman and CEO, DSI, is one of the largest student organizations in DSCE.
- SAE-DSCE: The SAEclub in DSCE, founded by Shri Anand Bhate, is one of the largest student clubs by membership in India. The chapter experienced growth by many folds when Abhinav Gupta joined as student general secretary and went on to be the student vice-president. Abhinav was called the Best Manager of the college, a nickname given by the then principal, Dr. Nethaji S. Ganesan, for his outstanding strategies and conducting events successfully including Virtual Baja 2011 for which he worked as student coordinator.
- The Central Library serves the reference and study needs of students in the campus. Its 1,30,000 volumes represent a good and well-researched collection of top quality books. Technical journals of a wide range and from all parts of the world are well stocked with early back reference indexing facility. The library annex is more modern and ensures new features adding more space and ambience. Computers with hi-speed internet facilities and photocopying facilities make up for good add-on features in the library complex that is manned by professionally qualified librarians.
- Sports: A football field, tennis court, basketball, squash court, gymnasium, aerobics hall and volleyball court are in the campus, apart from a host of other facilities for indoor and outdoor games.
- The laboratories are state of the art and match the needs of all disciplines and sub specialties. An interesting feature of the labs is that one can see the evolution of each department with the labs having a full range of equipment that reflect the inception to the trends under each specialty.
Research Facilities and industry interaction
Research forms one of the main thrust of Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering. It has a Biochemical Engineering Laboratory with activities funded by All India Council Technical Education (AICTE), Karnataka State Council for Science and Technology (KSCST), and National Aviation Fuel Board (NAFB). It has tie-ups with German Research Center and research centers in Europe. Research projects from DST, AICTE, DBT and DRDO have been granted to departments of DSCE. Students are encouraged to publish research articles in national and international forums. Research internships are made available to students in institutes like IIT and ISI. Many departments have been declared as centers of excellence by VTU in recognition of the research contributions.