Christ University is a private university in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. Founded in 1969 as an autonomous college, on 22 July 2008 it was declared as an institution deemed to be university under section 3 of UGC Act 1956 by the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India. The University is under the management of the priests of the Catholic religious order, Carmelites of Mary Immaculate (CMI). The University has over 18,000 students and more than 800 faculty members.In 2016, the University was accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council with A Grade.In 2017 India Today-Nielsen survey, Christ University is ranked among the top private universities in India. The university offers nationally and internationally recognised undergraduate, postgraduate and research programmes in academic disciplines in Humanities, Social Sciences, Sciences, Law, Engineering, Business Administration, Commerce, and Management. It offers professional courses in fields including Business Management, Computer Application, Hotel Management, Mass Communication, Social Work, Engineering and Tourism. It has a foreign student community of about 700 from 58 nationalities.
The Main campus consists of six blocks:
- Block 1 houses first year B.A, B.Sc students. It was the main building of Christ College before it became a university. This block is unique for its architectural style. It is made from the combination of bricks and stones and is a typical example for the architectural design and style that was popular in Bangalore region during the 1960s. The ground floor houses the offices of Controller of Exams (COE), Office of the Humanities and Social Science Dean, Foreign Affairs Office, Psychology, Chemistry, Botany, Biotechnology and Zoology labs. The teachers club and the departmental offices of History, Political Science, Life Sciences and Psychology are also located here.
- Block 2 houses B.Com and certain batches of B.Sc. and B.A. This block contains majority of the BCom classes and courses like CEP, JPEng and EMS. It also has a mini assembly hall and conference room on the third floor. This block is known for the beautiful lawn and the artistic structure displayed in the middle. This block accommodates the departmental offices of media studies, Physics and Mathematics.View of University Grounds during a Heavy Rain.
- Block 3 accommodates professional students. This block accommodates BCA course and the office of Economics and Commerce departments.
- Central block consists of postgraduate classes, Law faculty and the main offices of the university, namely Vice Chancellor’s office, University Office, Office of Admissions and IPM. It lodges the Knowledge Center, which consists of 1,80,000 books and more than 400 journals and publications from across the world.
- Block 4 is a newly constructed building which accommodates the Innovation Center, Centre for Educational Sustainability and Development and the Department of Professional Studies and courses like B.Com Professional, B.Com International Finance, B.Com F&A, BBA F&A, BBA T&T, BHM, B.Com Honors etc. This block also accommodates the Kuriakose Elias Chavara Mini Auditorium which can accommodate around 600 people together.
- Audi block consists of Christ Junior College and Christ Main Auditorium, which can together accommodate 1,900 people.
Christ University offers certificate, diploma, undergraduate, postgraduate and research programs in academic disciplines classified under the Schools of Law, Education, Sciences, Social Sciences & Languages, Commerce & Management and Engineering. In 2005, the formerly known Christ College (now Christ University) was the first institution in South India to be re-accredited with A by NAAC.
Wikipedia in the undergraduate programme
The institution entered into a memorandum of understanding with the Centre for Internet and Society, Bangalore, India to make article writing on Wikipedia a core exercise for the continuous internal assessment of its 1600 undergraduate students in Hindi, Kannada, Tamil, Sanskrit and Urdu. The university produced the first of its kind Wikipedia video tutorials in two languages – Hindi and Kannada.
The University offers 44 masters, 17 Master of Philosophy and 21 PhD degree programmes in Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Law, Education, commerce and management, and Engineering. Masters programmes are of two years duration, except for Master of Computer Science and Master of Law which are three years and one-year duration, respectively.